Medical science has made tremendous progress over last few decades. This has been evident with more and more diseases which were once rare and extremely difficult to treat, now not only being treated but also diagnosed at a nascent stage.
With such progress in medical science, there has also increase in awareness about alternate forms of treatment that exist. These treatments are not in one particular branch of medicine, but other than allopathy which include Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Unani, and more. Various reasons are why people prefer these treatments and the regulator soon realised this thereby bringing coverage for such alternate forms of treatments as a part of health insurance policies back in 2013.
Meaning of AYUSH treatments
AYUSH is an abbreviation for treatments under different branches of medicine which include Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy. These treatments are primarily based using natural ingredients to address different ailments. However, they do not completely exclude drug therapies for specific ailments. With ingredients from the nature that form core constituents in these medicines and treatments, it is simpler for the human body to absorb them with no to low side effects.
Some reasons to consider AYUSH coverage in your health insurance plan
With online health insurance making it accessible to purchase a policy with AYUSH coverage, here are some reasons why you should consider it –
- AYUSH treatments have a holistic approach to treatment which address several gaps in medical services. Further, it focuses an all-round well being of the patient and not just one aspect.
- Not all age groups can sustain heavy doses of antibiotics which is when AYUSH treatments come handy. These are more specifically suited for the elder age groups.
- In places where full-fledge medical facilities are not available, like rural areas, AYUSH coverage help to stay protected by your insurance policy.
- With increasing instances of lifestyle related ailments, AYUSH treatments are convenient for those who wish to cure them without reliance on medication.
- Lastly, AYUSH treatments have lesser side effects that standard allopathy drugs for medicinal use. These treatments are also cost effective at the same time.
With the several benefits offered by AYUSH treatments, they are also covered in the Arogya Sanjeevani policy that is the most basic health insurance coverage that can be bought.
Coverage under AYUSH treatment in your health insurance policy
When you purchase a health insurance policy with AYUSH treatments forming part of its coverage, the insurer takes care of all inpatient medical expenses under Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy. However, you need to note that these treatments need to be availed at a government hospital recognised by Quality Council of India or National Accreditation Board on Health for any compensation to be received for such treatment.
Exclusions under AYUSH coverage
- This policy cover excludes hospitalisation which does not last for more than 24 hours.
- Any expenses that are classified as pre and post-hospitalisation costs, day-care expenses, and outpatient expenses are not included under this coverage.
- Treatments that are sought for preventive and rejuvenating reasons are not included under this cover.
With the benefits of AYUSH treatments, its coverage and exclusions explained, make a thorough informed decision when selecting your health cover. Also do not forget to address the most basic question of what is health insurance and how it will help in your financial safeguard before buying one. Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms and conditions, please read sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.