Medical science has made tremendous progress over the last few decades. This has been evident with more and more diseases that were once rare and extremely difficult to treat, now being treated and diagnosed at a nascent stage.
With such progress in medical science, there has also increased awareness about alternate forms of treatment. These treatments are not in one particular branch of medicine, but other than allopathy, including Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Unani, and more. Various reasons are why people prefer these treatments. The regulator soon realized this, thereby bringing coverage for such alternate forms of treatments as a part of health insurance policies back in 2013.
Meaning of AYUSH treatments
AYUSH is an abbreviation for treatments under different medicine branches, including Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy. These treatments are primarily based on using natural ingredients to address various ailments. However, they do not entirely exclude drug therapies for specific conditions. With elements from nature that form core constituents in these medicines and treatments, it is simpler for the human body to absorb them with low side effects.
Some reasons to consider AYUSH coverage in your health insurance plan
With online health insurance making it accessible to purchase a policy with AYUSH coverage, here are some reasons why you should consider it –
- AYUSH treatments have a holistic approach to therapy which addresses several gaps in medical services. Further, it focuses on the overall well-being of the patient and not just one aspect.
- Not all age groups can sustain heavy doses of antibiotics, which is when AYUSH treatments come in handy. These are more specifically suited for the elder age groups.
- In places where full-fledged medical facilities are not available, like rural areas, AYUSH coverage help to stay protected by your insurance policy.
- With increasing lifestyle-related ailments, AYUSH treatments are convenient for those who wish to cure them without reliance on medication.
- Lastly, AYUSH treatments have lesser side effects than standard allopathy drugs for medicinal use. These treatments are also cost-effective at the same time.
With the several benefits offered by AYUSH treatments, they are also covered in the Arogya Sanjeevani policy, the most basic health insurance coverage that can be bought.
Coverage under AYUSH treatment in your health insurance policy
When you purchase a health insurance policy with AYUSH treatments forming part of its coverage, the insurer takes care of all inpatient medical expenses under Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy. However, you need to note that these treatments need to be availed at a government hospital recognized by the Quality Council of India or the National Accreditation Board on Health for any compensation to be received for such treatment.
Exclusions under AYUSH coverage
- This policy cover excludes hospitalization, which does not last for more than 24 hours.
- Any expenses classified as pre and post-hospitalization costs, day-care fees, and outpatient expenses are not included under this coverage.
- Treatments that are sought for preventive and rejuvenating reasons are not included under this cover.
With the benefits of AYUSH treatments, their coverage, and the exclusions explained, decide thoroughly when selecting your health cover. Also, do not forget to address the most fundamental question of what is health insurance and how it will help in your financial safeguard before buying one. Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.